Skip to main content

Domain Name Resolves to A Wrong IP Address

I registered a new domain name. While in the process of registration I checked on the new domain name that showed a default page. I should have not done it in the first place checking on a site with incomplete domain name registration. Once the registration was completed I pointed the new domain name to my web server. And I created a new "Hello World" page. However, the new page didn't show up on a browser on my laptop.

However, it showed up on my smartphone. And it showed up on my son's smartphone. It just didn't show up on my laptop. It showed the original default page instead. After a few trials the default page became very suspicious to me. Searches on the Internet pointed to a potential browser malware. And I spent a few hours hunting for the malware that eventually never existed.

I looked up using a different browser and I made a query using curl. All responded with the same suspicious default page. Thus, it had nothing to do with the browsers or their potential malware. Maybe it was a malware in the operating system. I just could not get my mind out of malware.

The Internet suggested that I flush my dns cache, and I did. It should solve my problem but I still got the same thing. The nslookup command showed a wrong IP address. The ping command also showed the wrong IP address. It didn't show my web server IP address. It showed the IP address of the server that host the default page. Somehow there must be a dns cache along the trail from the browser on my laptop to my new page, which misbehaved.

After a long pondering, the nslookup command pointed me to a dns server on my smartphone. I didn't expected that there is a dns server on my smartphone. I was tethering my smartphone to my laptop. The problem had nothing to do with my laptop after all. It has nothing to do with a browser malware or an operating system malware. Hours already wasted.

I just flushed the dns cache on my smartphone, and the problem went away. How did I do that? I was using an Android with the Chrome browser which controlled the dns cache. The command to clear or flush the dns cache was buried deep beneath the Chrome browser. I entered the following into the address bar:

chrome://net-internals/#dns

A some sort of dns page appeared with an item Host resolver cache followed with a button Clear host cache. I pressed the button, and my problem solved.

I had to tell this story because the attempt to solve the problem was larger than the simple solution. The problem was created because I checked on a new domain name before it was completely registered and before it was pointed to my web server. I had no idea why a new domain name being registered was parked on a temporary web server and caused a dns cache havoc to me.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting Up PyScripter for Quantum GIS

PyScripter is a general purpose Python Integrated Development Environment (IDE). Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a desktop GIS application that can be extended with Python plugins. Both are open source softwares. We intend to use PyScripter as an IDE to build QGIS Python plugin. We are using PyScripter 2.4.1.0 and QGIS 1.6.0 in Windows. PyScripter does not come with Python. On the other hand, QGIS is built in with Python. Thus, we will setup up PyScripter to use the build in Python in QGIS. We assume both PyScripter and QGIS are already installed. Preparing PyScripter batch file We assume that QGIS is installed in C:\OSGeo4W\ folder and PyScripter is installed in C:\Program Files\PyScripter\ . 1. Copy qgis.bat in C:\OSGeo4W\ bin to pyscripter.bat 2. Edit pyscripter.bat to remove the last line that read something like this start "Quantum GIS" /B "%OSGEO4W_ROOT%"\apps\qgis\bin\qgis.exe %* and replace it with this in one line Start "PyScripter" /B "C:\Progr

Sending Emails via SMTP

msmtp  requires a minimal setup for sending emails via SMTP compared to sendmail. Here is a configuration for you to send emails from a web host to an external SMTP server. Prior to doing that, you must check whether there is a clear communication channel between your web host and the SMTP server. You can use Telnet . Set up msmtp You are going to set msmtp as an MTA . Hence, you need to remove all other MTAs such as postfix and sendmail: $ sudo apt-get --purge autoremove postfix sendmail Install msmtp and related utilities: $ sudo apt-get install msmtp msmtp-mta mailutils Configure msmtp: $ sudo nano /etc/msmtprc # Set default values for all following accounts. defaults # Use the mail submission port 587 instead of the SMTP port 25. port 587 # Always use TLS. tls on # Set a list of trusted CAs for TLS. The default is to use system settings, but # you can select your own file. tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt # The SMTP server account mx host mail.mx.example

fatal: Couldn't find remote ref master

If you are using Github then  master is now known as main . Whatever you want to do with a master must now be referred to a main . If you search for this error message on the Internet then you will encounter with a lot of old discussions on how to set up your master properly which is probably not what you are looking for. The master  is your problem. Rename it to main . I wrote Git My Way about two years ago. Today I created another Github repository. I got this  "fatal: Couldn't find remote ref master"  error message when I wanted to sync the new repo for the first time with my notebook using the notes I wrote in the blog. All the discussions around the error message I found on the Internet were perplexing. Then I recalled that Github had renamed master to main  due to the master-slave connotation. We always have a master copy of a code, never a slave copy. Now suddenly a word context has been diminished for good. What is going to happen to the existing vast documen